Sunday, February 03, 2008

Win a Trip to Washington, DC!

All expenses paid trip to Washington for winners of GoRail essay contest.

We are looking for a few lucky individuals to join us in Washington, DC, for Railroad Day on Capitol Hill on March 13 to tell Congress why it is crucial that we expand freight rail infrastructure and protect railroads from harmful reregulation. GoRail will cover your expenses while you participate in democracy first-hand. GoRail members will receive a briefing from GoRail staff after arriving in Washington. We will set up meetings for you and railroad officials with your congressional representatives. You will join hundreds of railroad officials at a dinner and reception after spending a day on Capitol Hill.

Simply tell us why railroads are important to you and your community. Maybe you’ve worked for a railroad, maybe railroads are the life blood of your community, or maybe you are in a unique position that enables you to relay our message to Members of Congress - that railroads are the cleanest, safest, and most efficient mode for moving freight. We simply want to hear your story. Last year, we brought four GoRail members to Capitol Hill. Here is what they had to say about the GoRail DC trip:

I just wanted to thank you and all the staff for the opportunity to visit, learn and voice my opinion, on the Hill, about railroading in this great country of ours. The "hands on" education I received by being a volunteer for Railroad Day on Capitol Hill, was unforgettable and an eye opening experience. I come away with new knowledge that our goals need constant communication reminders to our Representatives and Senators, as well as the local leaders in my area. I am making it my goal to assist doing just that. -- Burnie Vaugn, 30 year Rail Veteran

It was an amazing feeling when, at the first meeting, I was asked who I was, what I did for a living, and what I thought about the legislation we were there to support. In talking with the different representatives, I found that they were genuinely interested in what I did for the railroad, and it wasn't long before I realized that I was just as interested in what they did! I left Capitol Hill with my eyes wide open, my mind racing with ideas, and a new found respect for all of our nation’s law makers and railroaders alike. I truly had a day I will never forget… -- Will Jones, CSX Signal Maintenance Employee


To submit your essay, click here or email lstevenson@go21.org with your rail story. All entries must be received by February 13.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home