Sunday, November 27, 2005

Very pleasant surprise in my mail box

When I arrived home the other evening I opened my mailbox, the snail mail one, and removed a hand full of items including a magazine in a plastic bag. My lovely wife Linda gets a number of craft magazines and I assumed it was hers since all of the magazines I currently subscribe to arrive without any protective covering.

As I looked through the plastic at the back cover I realized that this was a magazine devoted to trains. Either that or Womens Day had taken on a large number of model railroad sponsors for the holidays. After I got settled into my easy chair I opened the plastic bag and removed my first copy of RAILFAN & RAILROAD magazine. My eyes were immediately drawn to the blue and yellow CSX locomotives in the lower part of the front cover. As I glanced up at the mast head I said “I know that skyline.” There across the water in the picture that makes up the front cover in bold white lettering was the subject of this months cover story.

“Three Rivers Railfanning”

Thats right, our beloved Pittsburgh is the subject of this months cover story. Inside I found an eight page story covering all of the rail activity in the Pittsburgh area in great detail. This accompanied by a number of very well done photographs. The author, Richard C. Borkowski Jr., obviously is a rail fan and did his homework before writing this article. He also did the photography work including the cover shot and I would love to know if he did it with digital or film. I plan to write a letter to the editor about the article so I may find out.

I stopped at Barns & Nobel in Waterworks Plaza on my way to work this morning and checked out their well stocked magazine rack to see if I could pick up a few extra copies to give to friends but found none. The help desk told me that while RAILFAN & RAILROAD is listed in their computer as one of the publications that they carry the had not received any at this store since last December. With the coming weekend being the one after Thanksgiving you won't find me within a mile of any shopping mall so I won't get the chance to check Borders in Monroeville which is my other haunt when looking for niche magazines that I don't subscribe to.

If you happen to find the January 2006 issue of RAILFAN & RAILROAD on a shelf somewhere do me a favor and buy a few extra copies for me and I'll reimburse you. Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home